Friday, April 22, 2011

Album Review: Foo Fighters - Wasting Light (2011)


After 4 years we finally have the new album from the Foo Fighters! Now for those of you who did not hear, the Foos ditched the fancy studios and computers for Dave Grohl's garage and analog tape. Once I heard about this, it honestly made me skeptical of the album. I had semi-low expectations, and I really didn't think it would be up to Foo Fighters' standards.

Was I ever wrong....

"Wasting Light" has a very raw rock feel to it. They went back to their roots of heavy guitars and loud drums. Their last 3 albums (Echoes, In Your Honor, One by One) seemed to rely a lot on Dave's vocals. However this album is different. It's a trip back to the self-titled album and Colour and the Shape. I'm not saying the last 3 were bad albums (I actually really liked them), but the Foos went back to what they are best at: guitar-driven rock. When you listen to the record, you get the feeling as if the Foos had a lot of fun making the record.

The album shoots out of the gate with the first song, "Bridge Burning". The drums and guitar in the intro are some of the heaviest I have ever heard from them. But the song gives the album a fantastic start and honestly, it is one of my favorites on the record.

Despite being a very guitar and drum heavy album, there are some songs where Dave's vocal and lyrical abilities shine. Songs like "Walk" (my favorite on the record) and "Dear Rosemary" prove that Dave Grohl is still one of the best vocalists in all of rock music.

To sum it all up, this is an album that will surely be on a lot of Top Album Lists at the end of the year. There aren't a lot of standout, sure-fire "singles" on the record. You won't find "Everlong" or "Best of You" or "My Hero" on this record. But I feel it is one of the most complete albums they have ever written.

PICK IT UP!!!

This is my first ever album review. I would love to hear your feedback, both praise and criticism. Leave your comments!!!

-Mike Leatherwood

2 comments:

  1. We reviewed this album almost identically! I even have a part in my review mentioning how there is no "Everlong", but that it is still one of their best albums ever, and definitely the best in the past 10 years.

    Very good review. Again, you can check out my review on my blog.

    http://bradsmusicalmusings.blogspot.com

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasting Light" is a big guitar album, be it the jittery start (Beastie Boys' "Sabotage," anyone?) on "Bridge Burning" or the stuttering echo of the initial single, "Rope." And despite opening the album with a song titled "Bridge Burning," much of "Wasting Light" sounds like that's exactly like what the Foos are doing. It's a stunner to hear Grohl sing in a world weary voice (on "These Days") lyrics about trying to get over past pains, then suddenly breaking into a roar of protest.

    ReplyDelete