Monday, March 4, 2013

Review Track by Track: My Chemical Romance - Conventional Weapons


Review: My Chemical Romance - Conventional Weapons

In 2010, My Chemical Romance guitarist Frank Iero told fans that the scrapped album from 2009 will eventually be released, possibly as MCR's "final" release. It turns out fans did not have to wait very long. In September, My Chemical Romance announced they would release "Conventional Weapons", comprised of 10 lost tracks released through five 2-song EPs over a span of 5 months. After listening to all 10 songs (and considering the 4 tracks that made it to Danger Days) I can confidently say that My Chemical Romance threw away gold back in 2009.

Let's start off my review of "Conventional Weapons" by taking a look at each EP individually.

DISCLAIMER: I am calling this a record/album. I understand it is a compilation and technically not a record, but I am referring to as such anyway.


EP Number One:

1. "Boy Division"
An upbeat track starts the compilation off with a bang. The song is heavily driven by Gerard Way's vocals, which is the case is most of MCR's best work. Boy Division may not be up there with their top songs, but not a bad way to kick it off.

2. "Tomorrow's Money"
One of the weaker songs on "Conventional Weapons". It is another upbeat song that starts off with a killer base riff from Mikey Way, which we really haven't seen since Three Cheers' "Give 'em Hell Kid". Despite a nice guitar solo in the bridge from Ray Toro, I still feel this song falls short compared to other songs on the record.

EP Number Two:

3. "AMBULANCE"
Best song on the record. Hands down my favorite. When My Chemical Romance was recording for the new album, this is what I was hoping to hear. Once Gerard's vocals kick in for the first verse, you are grabbed and crave more; and more is what the listener gets. The chorus booms and hits you like it does in their massive single "Welcome to the Black Parade", and sticks in your head. The first time I heard this song, I could not get it out of my head. A sure-fire single if released, the fact that this song was scrapped is a crime.

4. "Gun."
Another solid track to partner with "AMBULANCE", "Gun." features another booming chorus with catchy backing vocals in the bridge ("Don't even have a gun!"). An average-at-best track for the first 1:15, the song really comes into its own with the first chorus. As a whole, a very solid track that would have had a perfect place in My Chemical Romance's discography.

EP Number Three:

5. The World is Ugly
There are tons of die-hard My Chemical Romance fans dying to hear this one. MCR played this song live a few times on the Black Parade Tour and instantly became a YouTube hit. The final version is a little more upbeat, but still maintains that emotional, full-of-hope feeling that was prevalent in the original live version. Featuring one of the most memorable lyrics on the record ("The world is ugly, but you're beautiful to me"), this will become a fan favorite and hopefully a staple in setlists to come. 

6. The Light Behind Your Eyes
Another future fan favorite, this may be the greatest ballad MCR has ever written. The song starts with Ray Toro on acoustic guitar accompanied by an orchestra (which I believe is the first time My Chemical Romance has ever included one in a song). After the slower start, the song kicks up with another unforgettable line in the chorus (If I could be with you tonight, I would sing you to sleep, never let them take the light behind your eyes). I can guarantee you when it is all said and done, "The Light Behind Your Eyes" will go down as one of the best songs on the album.

EP Number Four:

7. Kiss the Ring
MCR fans may recognize this song as well. Before the album was scrapped, My Chem did a couple of one-off shows at the Roxy in LA, where they debuted this song. Another very upbeat track with a catchy opening riff, I am surprised they did not include this on Danger Days. That is not because it is one of the best on the album, but more so because it sounds like it would fit with songs like "Vampire Money" and "Party Poison". The one complaint I have with this song is the opening riff strongly resembles "Woman" from Wolfmother.

8. Make Room!!!
In my opinion, this is the weakest song on the album. The strongest part of the song (the bridge) was reused in Danger Days lead single "Na Na Na" and the rest of the song is average at best. Not much else to say about it.

EP Number Five:

9. Surrender the Night
A personal favorite of mine (and Tom Taylor's), "Surrender the Night" is just another example of what I expected to hear with the follow-up to the Black Parade. A simple song with another very catchy chorus, its a track that will be sure to please MCR fans. 

10. Burn Bright
This song is proof that a good drummer really makes a difference in a band. In my opinion, Danger Days really lacked solid, creative drumming and the absence of Bob Bryar showed. "Burn Bright" is some of Bryar's best work on drums. The track begins with a drum beat that screams epic, and the song delivers. It isn't anywhere close to "Welcome to the Black Parade" or "Famous Last Words", but still a great way to end the record. 

Before I wrap things up, it is EXTREMELY important to remember that there were 4 songs from these sessions that ended up making it onto Danger Days. Those songs were:

The Only Hope For Me is You (My 2nd favorite from Danger Days)
Bulletproof Heart (My favorite song from Danger Days)
Save Yourself, I'll Hold Them Back
Party Poison (Formerly known as Death Before Disco)

Even though Danger Days wasn't a terrible album, I truly believe My Chemical Romance would have been much better off releasing this. I understand they wanted to do another concept/story-type album just like the Black Parade. But in all honesty, I don't think they needed to. Adding in the 4 songs from Danger Days to the 10 from Conventional Weapons, this would have been the perfect follow up to 2006's monster album, The Black Parade.

-Mike Leatherwood




No comments:

Post a Comment